Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Jan 30th


I really really am so really way too happy here.

I thought for sure that I would be dying to get out of the MTC and into Korea (and don't get me wrong, I am still way excited), but I really do love it here. I never thought I'd say this, but it is going to be hard to leave! I have been blessed with the sweetest companion who keeps me laughing all day. We had service the other morning and we were singing songs while we happily wiped the pee off the urinals. Hah. :) I also love all the Elders in the district and we are already so close. Did I mention that the Korean branch is the biggest in the whole MTC? There are eighty something of us! Eveyone is so enthusiastic too and we have our tables in the cafeteria that we call "K-town" so we can all eat together (occasionally one of the natives even has Kimchi to share).

And then there is the fact that I get to see Easton, the best Elder here, everyday! We exchange letters too which really gives us something to look forward to. And Brandon, Quinn and Chase, you'll be happy to hear that I play basketball everyday with this group of Elders and I'm getting better! It's so fun. I also have been drawing a lot and Mom, I drew the investigator! I'll be sure to send a picture.

Oh and mama, did I mention that I am singing in the choir? It's such a spiritual experience. At our Sunday devotional this past week, we sang a revised version of "Called to Serve" that nearly brought me to tears (it was the closest I've come to crying since I've been here). I really feel so lucky to be surrounded by such a stellar group of young people and hold them all in the highest respect. This work is really such a cool thing to be a part of and I'm already so glad I made this decision. 

As for the language... It's kicking, with brute force, my patootie. It's like trying to spread frozen butter on toast. Or scraping the snow off the driveway with a toothpick. It's like wathcing Kate Winslet let go of Leonardo DiCaprio's hand when he would have easily gotten on the door from the other side, but not being able to do anything because they can't hear you yelling through the TV. It's like trying to catch a spring BEFORE it hits you in the face... ;) It's hard and it's frustrating, but at the same time it's amazing how quickly it is coming. I have a funny experience last Thursday when we were teacher our investigator (not a real one, just practice). We have to teach in Korean, obviously, and he was asking when we gained faith in Jesus Christ. I was trying to tell him that I was born in the church and that it wasn't until I was about twelve that I started to really gain faith for myself. I didn't say that. I actually said that I had a baby who was twelve. Hahah. We were really confused, and he was too, and then we realized that he was saying that he didn't think missionaries could have kids. We realized the miscommunication and laughed and said, "Aniyo! Aniyo! (No! No!)" and tried to set things straight. It was soooo funny and it's become the joke of the district that I have a twelve year old kid at home. 

But I really do believe in the Gift of Tongues. It is amazing how far we have come in these short two weeks! The Lord is definitely with us with every step.

So I don't know if you got my letter from last week, so I really hope you get this one. Thanks for the packages Dad and all the emails from you guys! Keep me updated on the family. How is Poppop doing? And Grandma too? They are in my heart and in my prayers. Thank you for your love and support. I seriously have the best of the best family. 

Now go build a snowman. Rachel's orders.

All my love,
Sister McCloskey

P.S. We don't use romanization here, so it's hard for me to write anything in Korean... Sorry to disappoint! 
P.P.S. I'm going to try and get the pictures to work this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment