Monday, December 1, 2014

Nov. 30, 2014 - When the cold of winter comes...

First snow!

December has officially checked it, though it seems to have arrived a bit early this year, but it has brought with it quite a lot of that little white stuff that falls from the sky. Needless to say I'm totally ecstatic about it.
 
I laughed a little to myself reading about the ever eventful lives of that little family of mine. Thanksgiving seemed to have been a raging success, which news brings quite the smile to my face. As for Thanksgiving over here... Hah. We intended on an American feast with the district at our neighborhood Ashleys (a very famous, very delicious American buffet), but the wait was longer than what I imagine the line outside Best Buy was this past Friday. A line I hope none of you were in... It was kinda a bummer, but my companion and I were determined to celebrate what would be her first Thanksgiving with an American and mine with a Korean. So, naturally, we took the next best option and ate a 5,000 roasted chicken, that looked like a little turkey, from a roasting truck on the street. Talk about a Thanksgiving feast! It was quite the experience to remember and we even found a little German bakery with some walnut pie (also a first for Sister Seo) to top it off. Oh what a Happy Thanksgiving it was! Thank you pilgrims and indians. You rule.
 
In lieu of this lovely holiday, my companion and I decided to start only "gratitude" personal prayers at night, something I have wanted to do for a long time. There are always things to be grateful, so I thought it would be pretty easy and it was-- at first. As I have continued to do it though it has become even more personal and eye opening.
 
I, thanks to the amazing example of my parents, learned to pray to Heavenly Father at a young age. I prayed with my family, at church, on my own--but very rarely did I see it as a real conversation with my Heavenly Father. As a missionary I have strived to form the same relationship and have the same conversations with my Father in heaven as I do with you, Dad. I loved talking to you, telling you every meaningless facet of my life, seeking your advice on little decisions that really didn't matter but seemed like the end of the world to me, seeking comfort when days were hard. I really grew to trust you with everything and really treasure your advice. But since I have been in Korea, and no longer can come in to your office, sit my bony bum on your lap with my hair in your face and tell you everything about everything, I have looked more to my Father in heaven. I think this will be a lifetime pursuit, but I can say that I have grown closer to Him since I have been out here and I really know that not only is He there, but He wants to listen, He wants to know how I feel and what is going on and He wants to help. Just like you, Dad.
 
And as I have said prayers of gratitude I have come to truly recognize Him as the source of all the blessings I have received, one of those being the amazing earthly parents into whose arms I was all to lucky to jump in to. I love you two. More than you will ever know.
 
So needless to say I have learned a lot about humility this week. I even happened upon Alma 31:30-38 this morning and it summed up so much of my thoughts. I had been feeling pretty down about not seeing as much success as I had hoped out here, much like Alma's experience. But I have had so many incredible experiences, including an awesome lesson last night with Emma and a miracle student that we talked to on the street and eventually agreed to come to our church, that it is impossible not to recognize God's hand in this work. He's so cool, guys, and He's so real.
 
... And this letter is so long. Yikes.
 
As for whatever else I wanted to tell you about my week, I'll make it quick:
 
Went bowling last week as a district as by golly was it a blast (thanks to Korea and it's ridiculously low priced entertainment).
 
We have been given kimchi by just about every woman in our ward, our english class, our investigators and even some Jehovah's Witnesses we barely know. Thankfully, I have a Korean companion or I wouldn't know what the heck to do with all of it. I get a good laugh every time I look in the fridge. SO MUCH KIMCHI.
 
I dreamed for the first time in Korean and it was hilarious. And so cool! Who knew Michelle could speak Korean too. :)
 
I love you all and I'm so grateful for YOU. Keep being weird and having lip synching parties, Okay?
 
Love,
Sister Me
 
P.S. Who caught to LOTR reference?
P.P.S. Here's our bowling team and this pretty area of mine (pre snow)



And our Thanksgiving feast. Hah. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment