Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 17, 2014 -선교사 업을 정멀 어려워요

It seems, based wholly on the emails recieved today, as though my manner of language pertaining to my week last week did not hide as scrupulously as I had hoped, the hard times that have been had. I have always been a fan of sweets, as is manifest in my chubby cheeks and pot belly (heh), but for the sake of all those future adolescents preparing to embark on this adventure, I'm going to leave the sugar-coating to those white-hatted Krispy Kreme workers. In the words of our sweet friend and confidant, Jeffrey R. Holland, "When the harder you try the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who have ever lived." Well, he said it. So I might as well get the word out too.
 
Missionary work is so hard.
 
Whew. There I said it. I can almost hear the chorus of my fellow missionary friends exclaiming emphatically, "You can say that again!"
 
Don't mind if I do.
 
선교사 업을 정멀 어려워요.
 
Okay not as hard as typing in Korean. But it's pretty close. You may begin to query as to why I was inclined to write such words, or rather pound them out on little black keys (not wrought by chisel or brush or number two pencil), this week. Well this week was hard, as blatantly evidenced by the words featured above. Finding investogators is hard, and a series of catalytic agitations arose with my companion. Nothing huge, great, monstrous, mammoth, or collosal, just enough to keep us praying hard for each other and for the work to move along. But amidst it all, I have so so much to be grateful, including my companion for her faith in the Lord and love for this gospel. I have developed such a special relationship with the Lord this week and I'm so grateful, so so grateful, for weeks like this where all I can do is pour out my heart to the Lord. Prayer is such an incredible thing and I have gained the biggest, most sure testimony of it. I know that Heavenly Father has listened, and is listening to my prayers, and that His hand is guiding this work. This is evidenced everyday.
 
I am not saying this to make you worry (mom and pop :)), but I think we all too oft brush aside those oft-repeated words. I want you to know that I really, truly, love being a missionary. There is nothing like it and I am learning more than I ever expected I would. And I have so much to be grateful for out here. This week the four of us celebrated Sister Song's birthday with the prettiest watermelon cupcake masterpiece this side of the Pacific ocean has ever seen. It was a day filled with laughter and celebration. And we have had the opportunity to visit several older less active women who have shared so much of their love with us it's like being wrapped in a blanket the second I step inside their homes! And Pope Fransisco came to Seoul which really doesn't mean anything, but I thought it was pretty cool so I had to find some way to squeeze it into this letter... Hah. And the weather has been all too perfect (by Sister McCloskey's definition which means lots and lots of rain. Woo!). I live in the most beautiful place surrounded by the most wonderful people.
 
I love you all and I can feel your love across this big ocean. I love you and wish you the best in your endeavors this week. You are in my heart and prayers.
 
Muuuuuuah!
 
Love,
Sister McCloskey
(Korean name coming soon)
 
P.S. My area and my comp. Aren't they both lovely? :)

My area

My comp. Isn't she lovely?

Sister Song's birthday, it was a celebration to remember!

That's me on the right.

My district

Taken with Elder Johnson's camera



No comments:

Post a Comment